My oven baked chicken livers recipe I make myself. When you cook any liver to follow the rule about salt, it is very important to make a soft and tasty dish. I just make a change in tradition Russian recipe instead of frying, I bake liver before introducing to the sauce. It is the healthier way and you never overcook liver. Livers comes out super soft and very tasty and has very mild specific liver taste because I soak it in milk. Traditionally and often at Russia, we serve with buckwheat or potatoes. On the photo below buckwheat garnished with flower from butter. The recipe for baked chicken livers have all details from preparation liver for cooking to the presentation.
The chicken livers with onion on the photo below was served as starter or appetizer with toasted bread. I just make little fancy but dish the same.
1 lb (500g) chicken livers
1 medium onion
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
All spice freshly grounded powder to taste
*Nutmeg and thyme can be used in this dish as an option for spices.
Very Important Rule When Cook Any Liver!
Don’t apply salt directly to raw liver or liver comes out not soft.
How to Prepare Chicken Livers For Cooking:
To prepare right chicken livers for cooking is very important to have a tasty dish! The milk is absorbing strong specific liver taste and liver will be very pleasant mild liver taste. This technique with milk good to use when cooking wild game or some fish also.
Wash liver in cold water and dry on paper towel. Cut off sinew, fat and especially bile. On the photo, I marked N1 – bile and N2 green spots from bile. The bile must be removed very carefully (try don’t break it). If you don’t remove bile, your dish have a bitter taste and will be impossible to eat.
2. Cut the liver in bite even pieces and place in very cold milk. Leave for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Dry in a paper towel and our liver ready to cook.
Preheat oven to 400ºF or 200ºC
1. Grease the pan with little butter and vegetable oil. Add black pepper and all spice to the liver. Bake 20 minutes. Don’t add salt to liver yet!
2. Cut onion into rings. Coat onion with flour.
Tip. Don’t throw away the hard end of the onion, just place in zip lock bag and keep in the refrigerator. Great use to make stock or broth!
3. Grease skillet with little butter and vegetable oil. Saute onion. When onion will be done, add black pepper, salt, and all spices.
4. Add sour cream and saute 15-20 minutes. Taste the sauce, it needs to be taste not like a raw sour cream.
5. When liver will be cooked, turn off oven. Baked chicken liver sometimes has a few small pink spots, don’t worry! Mix liver in the pot and add salt and spices.
6. Add the sauce to the liver. Taste for salt and spices. Place pot in the oven for 20 minutes (oven still warm from the cooking liver). We don’t really cook the dish, we just let liver and sauce exchange flavors.