The vegetarian borscht recipe is so simple! If you don’t have time to cook beets, just use canned beets. You can use beef broth for this recipe, it makes the recipe even better.
*I used in the recipe baked beets. How to bake beets.
10 cups water
10 oz cooked beets
10 oz potato
10 oz cabbage
5 oz carrot
4 oz onion
1 oz parsley root (if available)
3 oz tomato paste
5 oz tomato
5 oz beet greens
2 cloves garlic
3.5 oz vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
3 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
Black pepper to taste
2400 ml water
300g cooked beets
30g parsley root (if available)
90g tomato paste
150g beet greens
2 gloves garlic
100g vegetable oil
Red pepper flakes
Onion diced small.
Julienne carrot and beets.
Slice cabbage slightly larger than for salad.
2. Add carrot and saute for 5 minutes or more by carrots are ready.
3. Push on side vegetables and add tomato paste. Fry tomato paste on medium heat a few minutes. It is important to get rid of the raw taste of tomato paste.
4. Add tomato and fry together for a few minutes.
5. Add beets, mix all vegetables and add hot water just to cover vegetables. Add salt and pepper. Cover and turn off heat.
6. Add potato to boiled water and boil for 10 minutes. Check potato, it need to be almost ready.
7. Add cabbage and salt. Boil for 5 minutes. Salt add less than we need.
8. Add vegetable mixture, few red pepper flakes, bay leaves and 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Let borsch start boiling.
9. Add mix parsley, green dill, beets greens and paste*. Paste from garlic really makes difference! Let it start boil, cover and turn off heat. Borscht ready to serve after 30 minutes.
*Make a paste from salt, garlic, and a little bit of oil in a mortal or just use a small bowl to make a paste.
9. Garnish borscht with sour cream, parsley, dill, green onion. Freshly ground black pepper just compliment more the dish!
Video is coming soon.
Great recipe! I like borcsh 🙂 Thank you, Gala!
This recipe looks easy with this step by step instructions
I can’t wait to try it!
Thank you so much, Jan for your kind words to me! I hope, you like it. Gala
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *